“In a world…” When you think voiceover, a lot of times you think of that praise uttered by the late Don LaFontaine who recorded countless film and video games trailers, television advertisements, and network promotions. At LinguaLinx, voiceover narration in any language is a service that we offer for our clients for any industry. But what exactly goes into “Professional Studio Voiceover Narration”? Let us tell you.
- Pre-Production – It is important to be organized and plan right from the start. Each project needing voiceover recording is assigned a production team. All scripts from the client are reviewed to ensure all necessary materials are present. Important details are confirmed such as the appropriate voice talent (age, accent, gender, etc.), time estimates, deadlines, delivery format, and if integration is required. The client is given the option to select their own talent from a bank of resources. The talent selected by the client is contacted and scheduled.
- Production – We confirm that studio capabilities meet or exceed quality control standards, and then a recording session is set up by an Audio Engineer. The script is provided to the team that includes a Director, Engineer, and Voice Talent. All Voice Talent paperwork is handled here on our end. The Talent performs and records the script. During Production, we ensure that everything is recorded correctly and no content is overlooked.
- Post Production – Post-Production is a very critical stage in the process. This is where we smooth everything over. We isolate final takes and insert any pickups, and we also remove non-performance breaths to smooth out the audio track. We apply equalizer (EQ) to audio to ensure consistent tonal range and master audio using compression (-25dB RMS standard) to ensure consistent audio level. A final QA check is also performed to review audio quality, script adherence, etc.
- Integration – This phase is necessary should a client require. Sometimes, we are asked to integrate audio files into such media as Slideshow presentations, videos, Camtasia Studio, or other content aggregations. Quality checking is then performed on this integration to make sure the following variables are up to par: timing, volume, cadence, tone, and theme of the material.
- Delivery – File delivery is always according to client specification. We convert files to the specified format such as MP3 or MP4. If not specified, our standard is 48 kHz 24 bit WAV files. We deliver files through our secure FTP or any method that our clients choose.
That’s a wrap! (Pun intended, always.)